Somali Man Found Guilty of Possessing ‘Terror Tactics’ Propaganda
A Somali man has been found guilty of having a stash of Islamic State propaganda.
Police seized two laptops, a mobile phone and a USB memory stick after searching the home of Abdirahman Mohamed in Middlesex in July 2017.
Officers found electronic copies of the IS magazine as well as other documents including “safety and security guidelines for Lone Wolf Mujahideen”, the court heard.
Following an Old Bailey trial, the unemployed 42-year-old was found guilty of eight charges of possessing a document or record for terrorist purposes and cleared of one count of disseminating a terrorist publication.
Prosecutor Kelly Brocklehurst had said: “It is not the Crown’s case that the defendant personally engaged in, or was about to engage in, violence to kill or maim people in a political, ideological or religious cause.
“Rather the Crown say he knowingly possessed a number of documents that the Crown say are the kind likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism.
Mr Brocklehurst told the jury that Mohamed, of Shadwell Drive, Northolt, London, had a series of articles named “just terror tactics”.
These focused on vehicle attacks, knife attacks and hostage taking, and talked about causing “as much carnage and terror as possible” and leaving behind a “trail of carnage”.
Mr Brocklehurst said: “The contents of the magazines in particular provide worrying articles with useful tips and guidance on how those who are maybe contemplating carrying out a terrorist attack could achieve their aim.”
The jury was told Mohamed would exchange messages with people while visiting chat rooms under the name Concerned Muslim.
Mr Brocklehurst said Mohamed gave no comment when interviewed by police but provided a prepared written statement which said: “I am a Somali Muslim, my community had been affected by terrorism.
“The document was to help me understand the issues involved and for my own general interest and for me to form a view on what is happening.”
Mohamed was given continued bail until his sentencing on April 18.